Monday, 18 August 2008

The Lost Boys

One unexpected consequence, I've discovered, of a long-term relationship was the deterioration of my own, independent social life.

Although I've never been a person with huge numbers of friends, I greatly enjoy the company of others and made good friendships at school and university. Over the last five years though, I've not been brilliant at keeping in touch with some of them. And now I need them.

The loneliness of not being in a relationship comes as quite a shock. Just the fact that at the end of every day there was someone to share your thoughts with made life enjoyable. I'm lucky in that my two closest friends, J & I have been incredibly understanding and good support.

The others though don't even know what's happened. Facebook profiles have yet to be updated so the wider world doesn't know. Don't you just love modern technology. I'm now going to have to make concerted efforts to get back in touch with these people; to get my social life back.

I am lucky though that I've made some great friends in the year I've lived in East Dulwich. The East Dulwich Forum (linked on the right) is a great community asset and has led to drinks, curries and book clubs. It makes a zone 2 London borough feel like home. And is one of the main reasons I'm not running away, despite H still living in our flat there.

So, to all my old buddies out there. I'm back. And ready to go. For beers.

No comments: